Department Contacts

October 2012

October 10, 2012 | Posted by Toni Finger 10/10/2012 | Permalink
    Under various state and federal laws, releases of petroleum, toxic chemicals, gases and other hazardous materials must be reported to certain governmental agencies by the party responsible for the release or in some cases, anyone with knowledge of the release. According to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation’s (NYSDEC) website, approximately ninety percent of reported spills involve petroleum products. In New York, any person responsible for causing a petroleum “discharge” must immediately notify the NYSDEC within two hours of the discharge by calling the New York State Spill Hotline. However, according to NYSDEC’s Spill Guidance Manual, discharges that meet certain criteria do not have to be reported. read more